Left-over red wine, left-over bread.. What to do? Answer: Bread salad!
This was surprisingly yummy, given the fact that I just threw the ingredients together more or less randomly. It might sound a bit weird, but I promise, it will be good. For a more traditional bread salad, you could simply leave out the mango I guess.
You need (makes 1-2 portions, depending on whether you’re having it as a main or side)
- 2 tomatoes
bulb clove of garlic (I used 2, hehe) [Note: oops. Of course I meant 'clove', not 'bulb']
- 2/3 can of chickpeas
- 1/2 cup of red wine
- 1/2 mango
- 1 toasted bagel (or 2 slices of bread)
- Sautée the garlic
- Add diced tomatoes and red wine.
- Leave this to simmer for a little bit, maybe about 10-15 minutes. The tomatoes should be soft(er) by then. Drain.
- Add chickpeas. Simmer for another 2-3 min.
- Add diced bagel.
- Put diced mango on top.
- Depending on how dry your salad looks, you might want to add a little of extra wine on top.
The only thing that could have been better was that the bread became soggy relatively quickly (i.e. by the time I reached the bottom of my bowl). Maybe, instead of just toasting the bread, you could try cutting it into dices first and then baking or frying it for a bit to make it more crispy.