I have been craving coleslaw the last couple of days. Last time I had it, which was probably about a year ago, I only had the store-bought typical, mayonnaise version. That tasted alright, but I was never a big fan of mayo (or buying pre-made salads, for that matter). Therefore, I was excited to make my own vegan version today – and can I just say, it was goooood…
- 1/2 red cabbage
- 3 carrots
- 1 small onion
- 3 tablespoons Vegan mayo (I used Vegenaise)
- Whisk of Vinegar
- Whisk Maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Brown sugar (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Raisins (optional)
So yes, adding maple syrup and brown sugar and raisins was probably a bit over the top, but I have a sweet tooth sometimes😉 Feel free to leave out either the sugar or raisins, but I do recommend the maple syrup for a nice sweet touch.
- Grate the carrots, thinly cut the cabbage. Put into a big bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the mayo, vinegar, maple syrup and sugar. Add salt and pepper as you like it.
- Pour dressing over the ‘slaw. Now stir, stir, stir..
- Add the raisins! Stir some more.
Let it chill in the fridge for a couple hoursThat’s what they say, but I had a my portion right away😉
One thing: the ‘slaw tasted a bit onion-y for me. Make sure you don’t go overboard with the onion.
Apart from that: Nom nom nom…
What else do you like to throw in your ‘slaw? Raisins, nuts, crazyyy stuff? Tell me.😀