Imagine me, standing in the hair dye aisle in Shoppers. The last and only time I ever dyed my hair was getting blond highlights when I was about 14. That was all going for the ‘natural’ look though, most people could hardly tell I’d dyed my hair anyway.
Either way, basically I was nervous. I had made this crazy decision that I wanted blue hair and now I had to actually go through with it. So, I am browsing the shelves.. looking at samples.. reading manuals – when all of the sudden, this catches my eye:
Vegan hair dye by Manic Panic! SCORE. I saw that as a final sign, grabbed the box and went for it. Now my hair is a shiny, “shocking blue”.
Now, since I have so little experience with dying my hair I am not really the one to give an experienced review. Still, I have a couple of comments:
- 1) It was super shiny, and the perfect shade of blue when it came out!
- Be careful to not let your hair get wet. Noone wants blue streaks on their coat, collar, bed sheets… yeah. The list goes on.
- It came out relatively quickly. Then again, it is sold as “semi-permanent” so of course noone expects it to last forever. I’ve heard that a good idea is to put a little leftover dye into your conditioner to fresh it up.
- I was told to always, always wash your hair with cold water. This makes for such an enticing morning shower… not.
- Lastly, I love blue hair!
So, yeah this seems like a really cool product. Most of all, it’s vegan! On top of that, it is also made from some kind of natural ingredients, so that means less damage to your hair. It also means you can leave the dye in forever without worrying your scalp may burn and your fall out. Or something. When I dyed it for the second time a couple of days ago, I actually left it in overnight and it came out much better! (But like I said, blue dye on bedsheets is no fun).
From what I gathered, the founders of Manic Panic, Tish & Snooky, are vegans themselves, so that’s why they decided to make their product non-animal based. Even better, they are not tested on animals! Their slogan:
MANIC PANIC® SEMI-PERMANENT HAIR COLOR contains no animal ingredients and is tested on celebrities, not animals.
(from the Manic Panic website)
Have a good weekend everyone!
PS: I have updated the page to include a recipes, product reviews and restaurant sections to make this blog more structured and easy to navigate. Let me know if you have any further suggestions! Maybe an FAQ page?